Call for Applications: PTC Associates 2021-24
Playwrights Theatre Centre is searching for four playwrights working towards their best and most ambitious work to date for our Associates program.
The Associates is a three-year partnership, where each playwright works in collaboration with a dedicated dramaturg, as well as offering each other collegial insights and support. The unique length and depth of the program allows the playwright to manage the trajectory of their project with committed and long-term dramaturgical, administrative, and communication support from PTC. The program also provides:
- A 7,500 stipend, as well as support with further funding applications and networking/partnership
- Studio time, and collaborator contracting, to facilitate experimentation and the pursuit of what is most meaningful to the playwright
- A cohort of theatre makers developing their networks, creative practices, and projects in conversation with each other, to provide a more comprehensive support and feedback network than any one individual
- A series of on-site residencies, to provide concentrated and undisturbed work time in a supported creative environment
- Other dramaturgical supports include, but are not limited to: process design developed individually and in collaboration with the playwright, digital and technical experience and support, and opportunities to present their work in progress directly to the communities they are in conversation with, online and in programs like our Unscripted Series.
By the end of the third year, each of the Associates’ projects will be ready to move into production, in partnership with their dramaturg and other artists.
The deadline to apply for the program is April 15, 2021.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Experienced and mid-career writers with a specific project in mind, an idea that requires the long-term support of the Associates.
PTC is based in on the traditional, unceded, and occupied territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, and offers the Associates program to artists who can work in person with us here in Vancouver, as public health orders allow. Artists who are based in multiple locations that include Vancouver may apply, but there is no travel or accommodation support as part of this program. Participants must be residents of Canada.
Playwrights Theatre Centre is continuously working to make all our programs accessible. We encourage writers with a lived experience of disability to apply for all of our programs. We are also an equity-seeking company, with a history of working with artists from numerous communities. We are dedicated to creating spaces within which Indigenous, Black, people of colour, 2SLGBTQQIA+ people, and people with intersectional identity perspectives can lead and create. Flexible timing and location, virtual sessions, attention to time of day and duration of work, and flexible stipend plans can all be designed with the artist to maximize creative satisfaction.
We welcome all applicants to become members of PTC. Memberships are $25, or free if cost is a barrier. To become a member, go here
The Associates is led by PTC’s Dramaturg, Creative Engagement, Joanna Garfinkel, and each of the four participating playwrights will be matched with one dramaturg to work with for the duration of the three year program.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD INCLUDE:
1. A letter detailing:
- What you are currently seeking to move your practice and project ahead?
- What cohort/peer collaborations and conversations are you interested in forging?
- What are your most compelling questions right now as a playwright?
- What current and ongoing commitments and obligations do you have?
- What obstacles are currently in between you and your goals?
2. A pitch detailing your specific project: A short (500 word) description of the idea that you want to focus on during the Associates program. Include any co-producing relationships, community or peer collaborations in place, or previous development history if applicable.Commissions from or for other companies are not eligible.
3. A recent, completed, full-length play as an example of your work, including production and development history if relevant.
4. Your theatre resume/CV
5. If there is any other context or content that you would like to provide, please include it in the format that makes sense to you. Contact Joanna directly if you require support with files or formats, [email protected]
Please combine all materials into one PDF, and name it with your name and Associates in the title (“AMillerAssociates”) and email to [email protected], including “Associates Application” in the subject line.
If you prefer an alternative means of applying, please contact [email protected]
Results will be announced by May 2021