Join our Board
PTC Board Director Call for Submissions
Playwrights Theatre Centre (PTC) currently has four volunteer positions available among its diverse and vibrant board of directors. We are seeking board members with an interest in how new Canadian plays are made, and a commitment to growing their own leadership skills.
PTC REIMAGINES THEATRE. We collaborate on new work with emerging and established theatre artists to transform their practice and ideas. Our focus is dramaturgy, development, playmaking from A to Z. Through our creative relationships, fresh ways of working, thinking and creating emerge. Founded in 1973, the company is currently lead by its artistic and executive director, Heidi Taylor. We foster a culture of inclusivity and aim to make PTC accessible to all artists of passion and vision.
Purpose: To provide governance, oversee policy and direction, and assist with resource development for PTC to support the organization’s mission.
- Ability to listen, analyze, think creatively while working one-on-one and in a group setting.
- Willingness to learn about the company, prepare for and attend meetings, ask questions, take initiative and follow through on assignments.
- Contribute personal and financial resources depending on circumstances and open doors in the community.
- Open to developing skills, such as cultivating and soliciting funds, recruiting additional board members and other volunteers and reading financial statements.
- A commitment to inclusion and meaningful relationship with Indigenous and equity-seeking communities.
- Advanced knowledge of financial management, knowledge of urban development/ city planning or certified legal knowledge are an asset.
- Financial supervision, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Personnel evaluation for senior leadership
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of PTC. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term: 1 year with 2 year suggested commitment.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors meets September through June every 4-6 weeks in the evening at a mutually agreed time, at Playwrights Theatre Centre (739 Gore Ave). Meetings typically last 90 minutes.
- Committees of the board meet an average of three times per year, pending their respective work agenda.
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and public events as able.
- Participate on a standing committee of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by PTC mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote PTC mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with PTC finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of PTC.
- Financially support PTC in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.
Please email a current resume and letter of interest to Operations Manager, Melanie Yeats by March 20, 2017.
For more information and to apply to the position contact: