Interested in applying for this program?
We are accepting applications until August 15, 2023 – 11:59pm PT.
Applications are OPEN for our most popular program for emerging theatre artists and established writers interested in performance: Block A.
Block A is for artists who write for all kinds of performance, including script-driven theatre, from spoken word to performance art to songs – we’ve even had a few screenwriters. We’re looking for writers who are dedicated to the craft of writing and open to trying new forms. Writers are matched with a playwright mentor who offers fundamentals of writing for performance and helps engage their cohorts to be creatively generative and supportive of each other’s writing. They learn from each other, learn from the facilitators and get a sense of the collaborative nature of theatre-making. Block A is more than just a writing workshop, it’s a program to create socially responsible writers writing today’s stories.
Two cohorts of six writers will meet for ten weeks, beginning in mid-October and ending in early January (allowing some break weeks depending on the cohort’s needs). The playwright mentors will be announced by mid-August.
Block A Eligibility:
- For emerging playwrights and theatre creators with ambitions to continue creating theatre or other writing projects in the near future OR writers with an established practice in other creative writing forms (screenwriting, poetry, novelists, storyteller etc) interested in writing for theatre;
- Must be able to attend no less than 7 of the 10 evening sessions (dependent on cohort, usually takes place Monday or Tuesday night at 6 pm PST, each session are 3 hrs long);
- Must be available for the first session for Block A orientation (starts week of October 16th, 2023).
Your application should include:
- a filled in application form (Word version found here);
- a short sample or samples of your work (can be spoken word, a monologue, short play – we encourage writers in all forms to apply, between 4 – 10 pages);
- a letter telling us how you expect Block A to assist you with your writing/theatre-making;
- a resume with your creative experience (max 2 pages).
Alternatively, applicants can apply with a video or audiorecording. If applying with a video or audio recording (5 minute MAX recording), please include:
- the filled out Word application form attached;
- your full name, email address, pronouns, and what kind of writer or theatre creator you identify as (1 minute max);
- letting us know what you expect Block A to assist you with your writing/theatre-making (3 minutes max);
- a short bio of your creative practice (such as any formal or informal training you may have in writing or theatre, 2 -3 examples of creative works related to writing or theatre-making that has been shared publicly, and any additional information you’d like to share [ie special skills, hobbies, fun fact about yourself etc]).
PTC is committed to making all our programs as economically accessible as possible. Block A participants pay whatever they choose for their fee (valued at $368, includes GST), no questions asked. Participants, donors and foundation funding helps us offer no-cost participation for as many participants as possible. Membership is not required for application.
The application must be received no later than August 15, 2023. All applicants will be contacted by early September. If you have any questions about Block A and the application process, please contact the program manager, Davey (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange for a meeting.
To apply, click Apply Now below.
Theatre is alive. An ever-evolving dialogue with life and with the world. PTC is where that conversation starts. We collaborate on new work with emerging and established theatre artists. Our focus is dramaturgy, development, playmaking from A to Z. We help artists transform their practice and ideas. New and necessary stories take shape. Fresh ways of working, thinking and creating emerge. We foster a culture of inclusivity and aim to make PTC accessible to all artists of passion and vision.