Interested in applying for this program?
We are accepting applications until December 1, 2022.
Applications are OPEN for our program for dramaturgs or theatre and performing arts artists engaged in dramaturgical or devised practice: Block D.
Block D is for artists who help to shape, nurture and create all kinds of performance, including script-driven, hybrid forms, and physical theatre. We’re looking for creators who are already engaged in dramaturgical work and thinking, who would benefit from engaging with colleagues, and from learning new forms and tools.
WHAT is BLOCK D:
Theatre artists will be working with Dramaturg, Creative Engagement Joanna Garfinkel in a small and supportive cohort to expand their dramaturgical tool kits and breadth of experience.
Block D is a rare local opportunity to work exclusively on dramaturgical practice, and to help develop stories in an environment specifically grounded in anti-oppression and anti-racist values, while supporting rigorous artistic experimentation with form and content.
We will be offering one cohort of Block D this year.
Six theatre artists will be selected to meet for ten weeks (February-April). The cohort will begin online, but will have in-person and hybrid sessions, to play with physical and spatial forms of dramaturgy
WHO is eligible:
- We are looking for theatre artists already engaged in dramaturgical work, even if that work hasn’t borne the title of “Dramaturg” (for example, working as an outside eye in a collaboration)
- Preference will be given to people currently in a collaborative process or engaged as a dramaturg, editor, or outside eye in the coming year
- Program participants must be able to attend at least 7 of the 10 evening sessions (typically Tuesday nights at 6 pm PST)
- Participants must be available for the orientation session, Feb 7 2023.
HOW to apply:
ALL applicants must complete an application form (Word version found here).
In addition, applicants can choose to send us
- a short sample or description of the work you are currently doing or most interested in doing
- a brief letter (max 250 words) telling us how you expect Block D to assist you with your theatre-making;
- a resume with your creative experience, whether paid or unpaid (max 2 pages).
- a video or audio recording (max 5 minutes), telling us:
- your full name, email address, pronouns, and the work you have done as a dramaturg/collaborator (1 minute max);
- what you expect Block D to assist you with your writing/theatre-making (3 minutes max);
- a short bio of your creative practice (such as any formal or informal training), 2 -3 examples of creative works related to writing or theatre-making that has been shared publicly, and any additional information you’d like to share [ie special skills, hobbies, fun fact about yourself etc]).
PTC is committed to making all our programs as economically accessible as possible. Block D participants can pay whatever they choose for their Block D fee. The program is valued at $525 per participant, but participants can pay any amount they choose, no questions asked.
The application must be received no later than December 1, 2022. All applicants will be contacted by early January.
If you have any questions about Block D and the application process, please contact the cohort leader, Joanna (joanna[at]playwrightstheatre.com) to arrange for a meeting, or drop by our Public Office Hours.
To apply, click Apply Now below.
Theatre is alive. An ever-evolving dialogue with life and with the world. PTC is where that conversation starts. We collaborate on new work with emerging and established theatre artists. Our focus is dramaturgy, development, playmaking from A to Z. We help artists transform their practice and ideas. New and necessary stories take shape. Fresh ways of working, thinking and creating emerge. We foster a culture of inclusivity and aim to make PTC accessible to all artists of passion and vision.